Monday, April 23, 2012

VF March Review


The 2012 Hollywood Portfolio
By Bruce Handy, David Kamp, Juli Weiner and Jim Windolf
For this article in the March issue of Vanity Fair I was a little confused on what the story was actually about. The whole story is profiling persons who have had a hand in the year’s top films and their connection to this year’s honorary Oscar recipient James Earl Jones. And I’m not so sure you can call this a lead but under the title of the article was this little blip of a description, “Apocalyptic or silent, gender-bending or motion-capturing, the year’s top films get start treatment from V.F.’s ace photographers, while the authors provide the bar bets, parlor games, and Oscar cred.” This does not tell me why they are doing this story or why they focused so much on James Earl Jones.
I do, however, enjoy hearing about the different films and the background information that is not presented on-screen. The world of Hollywood is mystifying and intriguing for someone who has no connection to anyone or anything famous so that is why I always like hearing about the little things that is behind the scenes type stuff. And it is reassuring to know that they are just people too.
I know that James Earl Jones is an honorary recipient of an Oscar but I would have liked to have been more informed about that and how the degrees of separation applied more.  


VF 2012 Hollywood Portfolio

No comments:

Post a Comment